Friday, January 21, 2011

I am how old?

A few weeks back I had the pleasure of spending an hour getting my hair cut by an old high school friend. While we caught up, she casually mentioned that her new husband was 30 and she was 31. I Crooked my head and looked at her with confusion. She was 31? I thought we were the same age? She looked at me, equally confused, and then reminded me that I was also 31, in fact I was even older than her. (kudos to her for remembering when my birthday was after almost 12 years of not seeing each other). Holy Crap, I thought I was still 30! It seems as though I stopped counting at 30. Am I really old enough to forget my age. This realization opened my eyes about not being 30 anymore but rather in my 30's. I officially need to start aging gracefully.

For the past few months I have been getting a bit down about my appearance. I thought it was because I weigh about 30 lbs more than i did 5 years ago but I think it is because I am older than I was 5 years ago, I have 2 kids, I work harder, sleep less, and I weigh about 30 lbs more.

Me 5 years ago:


I guess I need to stop living in the past and start working with what I have. While I still intend on losing 15 lbs, I need to stop thinking that if I lose the weight all my beauty issues will be resolved because the fact is that even if I lose the weight, I will still have the bags under my eyes, wrinkles in my forehead, stretch marks on my belly, grey hair (that i don't have yet, but its just a matter of time), and dry skin. So I can no longer get away with a lackluster beauty routine. hello moisturizers, toners, face masks, hair dye ~ you will be a part of my life for the next 70 years.

Yes, you counted right, I am going to live past 100...and look good doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment