Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Power of Words

I love music! I love music I can sing to, dance to, and most of all relate to.

There are numerous songs out there I love and that I when I listen to them I think they were written for me (not for real real). but a few are on my ipod as comfort songs that I listen to when I need to remember someone or something or when I just need to escape to the past or a favorite memory. Such songs include "The house that built me" by Miranda Lambert, and "Brand New Day" by Joshua Radin. "Tough Little boys" by Gary Allen which is how I always felt about my dad and of course "feels like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk, which was the song I walked down the aisle to because it expressed how I felt perfectly. These are songs I often play on repeat.

But a few have "hit home" more than others...

I remember driving to work only a few months after my dad passed away and I heard Crystal Shawanda's "You can Let go now", I instantly thought it was a beautiful song and was sad that i would not get to use it as my father daughter song for my wedding. Then the song got to the third verse and I was transformed into a bawling mess. Not quite the father daughter song I initially thought it was. However, It turned out to be exactly the most perfect song for me to relate to. It seemed as though the writer was in the room the night my dad passed away. If you want to know what went down that night, listen to this song.

Most recently and what sparked me to write this post was my introduction to Brad Paisley "Anything Like Me". I listen to this song and initially I wondered if Max would be like my husband, Guy. Oiy! From the stories I have heard I will have my hands full. But this song also got me thinking as I interact with Annabelle. When Anna gives me attitude or is 'mean' to me. I feel so terrible because a)she's my baby and b)I now know how my mom felt. I know everyone says that you will understand and appreciate your mom so much better once you become a mom yourself and I have to say that if Anna is anything like me then I need to climb a mountain and shout to the world my apology to my mom. I wasn't, and am still not, the easiest daughter. Mom, if you read this far, I promise to do better. I love you! I realize Anna is like me, and I am more like you than i ever imagined I would be.

I watch TV to escape my life and live vicariously through others. I listen to music to embrace my life and relive special aspects of it on repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment