Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Back to Life...Back to Reality!

I survived one week back to work...but just barely!

Last weekend I was all geared up to head back. I spent the weekend tidying up around the house and preparing some freezer meals, doing laundry and loving on my kids! Of course though nothing in a parents life happens as expected and right before work was to start Max stopped sleeping through the night. its like he knew something was up and wanted to tell me how much he disagreed with this change. So week one (and 2 days) I have worked my full days on very little sleep. Nothing like jumping right into the deep end of the pool! As well, my replacement has been gone now for over a month so I had no honeymoon period it was right to the grind picking up everything that has been on hold for a month.

I was very lucky to have a dear friend take on the challange of watching Max for me. I say Challenge as she is a parent herself to 3 girls ranging in age from 4 to 11 months. All last week he cried at drop off and made things a little difficult for everyone but otherwise seemed to adjust well. While I feel very lucky to have a friend watching Max and I know he is safe and loved, it has the downfall of me worrying everyday that he is making things difficult for her and worrying that she will resent me for "ruining" her days. If he was going to a daycare in which I had no connection I wouldn't care if he pooped on them 5 times a day or demanded attention but I think it is human nature to care when you are friends with the person who's life is being affected. Now as as side note, she has told me numerous times that it is fine, she is Ok but it is definately my human nature to care.

So here I sit at my lovely desk while my kids go about their days without me. Max broke my heart this morning as he just looked so sad driving to Kate's house. I know he is being loved but I think he just wants to be loved all day by me. It is a big change for everyone but I know we will survive!

Ok. Lunch is ending, back at er!

4 comments:

  1. That's why I didn't go back to work. I couldn't handle the whole day care thing. I love being with them and watching them grow and change everyday. I am so lucky to be at home with. Take care and hope the adjustment for all doesn't take too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is another opportunity for them to learn and grow as people. I am a stay-at-home mom, but I regularly use our local casual care center because a) my kids love it there! and b) I find it gives them alot of confidence to learn to make they're own way with Mommy there all the time....and c) who am I kidding, a day to run errands and clean without kids hanging off of me?!! AWESOME! You know this already, but he'll adjust soon and before you know it he won't want to leave when you get there to pick him up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love having him here. Really what is one more diaper to change or a few more teeth marks in things anyway...he looks sad to see you go, but then plays happily for the day (Tater spends the day harassing him and he spends it harassing Scruffy :P), and look at the reception you get every time you come to get him. I am glad to be able to help out in this small way. The girls love to play with him...and while he occasionally grabs Mia's hair, she does poke him in the face in retaliation...and my arms will finally even out from carrying the two babies around at the same time (I had just better make sure I rotate them...the kids, not my arms).
    If he were making it too difficult that I wasn't able to care for him or my kids in the way that I would like I promise I will tell you. Besides it gives me a chance to see if I could actually do this for a living...
    In the meantime try to enjoy work as much as you can and relish the smiles you get when you walk in my door and know that your love will always be better especially since it is so concentrated while you are at home...
    (The girls woke up on Saturday and asked where he was and spent the weekend telling Grampa that she was going to marry him, so you know he is getting some love here :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus my in-laws and my husband occasionally feel that I must be tired and I get to go out all by myself to do groceries at night or on the weekend...and Phil never says anything when I tell him I am going out for a coffee with friends at night...I am going to be sad to see Max go in October :P

    ReplyDelete